"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Break

So I am finally posting again. I am in front of a computer and it should be a little better post. I ended up leaving Hollywood on Thursday midmorning. I was a little nervous about riding Laurel Canyon Drive because that road leads up to Mulholland Drive, the road where the Hollywood sign is at. Laurel Canyon is a winding and steep road that I new of due to my tour leading days out here. I was still sick when I left, which made me more nervous about getting up the hill. It turned out not being as bad as I though. Once I got over I had a nice downhill to the 101. After I crossed the 101 into North Hollywood, there were bike lanes pretty much all the way to the 5. I had another hill just before the 5 and it was much worse than Laurel Canyon. I ended up walking a bit of it because my body was wore out from being sick and I had no energy.

The route I chose from the 5 had one hill and then it was pretty flat all the way to my cousins house near Santa Clarita. This was encouraging since pretty much everything around there is hills.

I was only planning on staying with my cousins a couple of nights, but they talked me into staying until Monday morning. I played with their two kids and talked with them about many different things. It was a relaxing and enjoyable time. Their two year old, Bryce, was quite shy when I got there, but on the second day he opened up. He doesn't talk much and has only a few recognizable words. When he got tucked in the second night he was asked if he had a good day and he said, "josh," after a fashion. When his first grade sister, Kate, was tucked in the first night she was trying to figure out if I was homeless or not, and was told "sort of, but not really..." She also asked if I was married and then prayed for me to find a good, godly wife.

On Monday my cousin drove me over the grapevine (a mountain pass) so I wouldn't have to ride back roads or on the interstate (if it was allowed, which we couldn't find out). She took me over and dropped me off a few miles south of Bakersfield, a little worried since it was the middle of nowhere. When I got ready to leave, Bryce, who had been asleep in the back seat, started throwing a fit. He eventually calmed down enough and watched me ride off before they headed back home. I rode into Bakersfield and got settled for the night, then went around town and looked around. Buck Owens' Crystal Palace is in town, but it was closed.

The next day I rode to Hanford to where my great aunt Lila lives. She had contacted me a while ago and said I was welcome at her place. It was one of the reasons I chose to go through the valley instead of along the coast. A free place and less hills. I fought wind and pushed to beat storm clouds the whole way. About twenty miles away I was exhausted. I eventually made it in. It was a fairly flat ride, but very windy and wet (where the wind was blowing fertilizer).

A couple days before I arrived, my aunt said they were leaving a day after I arrived, but I was welcomed to stay as long as I wanted. I decided with all the free time I had right now, and the fact that there were storms north of here predicted for a few days, that staying would be a good rest and allow me to be near a church for Easter.

I am now relaxing and continuing to figure out how I am proceeding from here. It is restful, but also challenging for me to sit still and not allow myself to try and get settled in. That's part of what this trip is supposed to help me with - being okay not working when I have free time. I am excited to keep moving and am anxious to be done, but want to be done once I have completed the ride through 48 states.

Anyways...I am safe and getting rested and my health is improving.

1 comment:

denbec said...

Children are amazing in their stark honesty!