"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black Ice

I rode out this morning with my back hurting a bit and the forecast not looking well. I rode south 20 miles to where I was to catch an east bound highway and looked to the mountains and was still unable to see peaks and saw snow just a little ways above town. Since I had a 3,000 foot climb today, this concerned me. I checked the weather again for a couple of towns I was to go through and one predicted snow and temps not above freezing. I decided to not risk it and decided to stay in Ashland for a day. When I checked in I found out there was black ice where I was headed, so it was good I stopped.

Ashland is a very neat town and big into performing arts. They have three stages going daily and currently have a Shakespeare festival going on. The downtown has a neat feel to it and is historic and looks it, though well kept up.

1 comment:

denbec said...

Good decision Josh!

I loved staying in little towns like that on my trip. I spent one night in Cody, WY (you might end up there) and found it to be a delightful place to have a beer and listen to a live band. I should have taken a little more time to enjoy those type places on my trip.

Thanks for the updates! Still praying for your continued safe travels.

Dennis