"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Back to the Coast

Yesterday I had some nice climbing to do right out of town. I waited for the fog to let up and then had around a thousand feet vertical climb. After the initial climb turf was continual rolling hills with occasional steep grades up or down. It was a beautiful ride through mountains and meadows and eventually went through a redwood forest. After the forest came the coast.

Some of the redwoods were thicker than my bike was long. Once I got to the coast I had some more rolling hills. This part of the PCH doesn't often get to sea level due to the numerous cliffs. It is very beautiful, however, and very majestic.

I rode north for a few miles and then entered a state park for the night. The great thing about many of the state parks on the coast is that they have hike/bike rates. I went and set up, preparing for the storm that was to start that night.

The storm did hit and rained quite a bit, but was done by 10am. I got an updated weather report from a diver and decided to move up the coast a little ways. This ended up being about 15 miles, but I didn't want to push the 45 to the next marked site. Perhaps there are other places, but I wasn't sure. I also decided this would let my stuff dry out.

The say the wind is supposed to get pretty bad tomorrow. I may have to stay for a day or two. It was said there would be rain all day today and I'm standing in sunshine. I hope to ride tomorrow, but the weather has the final say.

2 comments:

denbec said...

Josh,

Got this on Adventure Cycling Bike Bits:

PACIFIC PEDALING PORTRAITS
Are you planning to ride the California coast in 2010? Mark Johnson, a
professional photographer and Adventure Cycling life member from Del
Mar, is undertaking a project aimed at photographing as many bike
travelers riding the Pacific Coast Route through San Diego as he can
find. Everyone who stops for a portrait will receive an 8"x10" print; if
you are interested in taking part, contact Mark at
bikephoto@ironstring.com.
You can find out more about him and his cycling photography here:
http://www.ironstring.com

denbec said...

Just realized you are way north of there already. Shucks.