"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Serenity

The ride yesterday had a couple of short and steep climbs and then a gradual climb the rest of the day. It was one of those roads that looks flat in a car but is a constant climb. It was at least a peaceful ride with a wide shoulder. The drivers were some of the best this whole trip; even the RVers, the predominantly poorest drivers of the trip. Just about every driver got over if it was possible and gave me plenty of room. The nest and worst part of the ride was the wind: it blew from every direction for varying lengths of time, which meant I occasionally had a tailwind.

Today I'm on my way to Bend. I'm ahead of schedule so I stopped for lunch and a break. The ride so far has been great and is predominately downhill. It goes through forest most all the time and occasionally gives glimpses of the Cascades. I decided to listen to Celtic and classical music today since it fits well with the landscape. My imagination has been going today and I have imagined frontiersmen and native Americans running through the woods and one song made me envision an old time barn raising like in seven brides for seven brothers.

It feels good to have another mountain range behind me. My legs can really feel it. They haven't been worked this hard in awhile. I think I might've pulled a stomach muscle as well. With that and my back I look a pretty funny and sad site only being able to position my upper body a couple of ways.

1 comment:

denbec said...

Back and stomach issues aside - this sounds just wonderful!