"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh-Shaniko

It's freezing outside and I have ridden through sleet and snow almost all day. I am sitting in the public restroom of a town of 27 people to stay warm for a bit. I am camped next to the stables with the permission of the mayor who happened to drive by the gas station as I asked if there was a place to camp. This town of Shaniko, OR has had a rich history, starting with a big part in the wool industry. It was located at the end of the line (railroad). Now it is in the cattle industry. It's a registered ghost town today, though people live here.

I left Bend today a celebrity. I had a photographer take pics of me as I left town for a photo and caption in the local paper. I hope to get a link to it soon. I delayed my departure from bend due to getting sick, so left today. I hope to be just across the river from Washington tomorrow.

My back is doing better due to a massage in Bend, though it is still sensitive. Hopefully I can get another one soon and clear it up. I hope to be in Montana in a week and a half. Hopefully I will only have to deal with snow one or two times more before it warms up.

Still cold so I'm gonna go get in my sleeping bag.

No comments: