"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Monday, May 24, 2010

Three Rivers To The Yellowstone River

I awoke in the morning and headed to the confluence which forms the Missouri River. I took some pics and hiked around on some rock outcroppings that gave good views of the surrounding areas. The only downfall was that all the mountains had clouds over them and my view was limited. I then headed on and got sprinkled on a bit more and had one more climb before a very nice downhill, where the wind shifted to my back. I got supplies at Bozeman just before this. I was surrounded by beautiful moutains on all sides and had the Yellowstone River flowing beside me. I had found a little patch of green on google maps a days ride from the Missouri and researched it and found it had camping. I decided to try for that and got there in good time. The downfall to the place is that it had no water and though I refilled my bottles at the last place possible, I was still low and in need of more. I eventually had to opt to treat a couple of bottles out of the Yellowstone. The river is quite dirty and the water was cloudy, but after treating it, it quenched my thirst enough. Across the river was the Crazy Mountains and they stood boldly above the hills in front of them, their white peaks jutting into the sky.

John Steinbeck said something along the lines that Montana is a lot like what a kid's vision of Texas might be like after hearing a Texan talk about Texas. I agree with that. The thing about Montana is it is big in a different way and reminds you how small you are. The scale of everything is huge. I have been here before but had forgotten how amazing it truly is. Words and pictures cannot do it justice. Perhaps in a couple days I can use some of the phrases and words that went through my mind as I rode this majestic landscape, but today's weather took a lot out of me. I also need some time to continue to process the magnificence of what I had seen.

I was again the only one at the campsite tonight, though there were a couple people here for day use. As I was sitting around relaxing, a couple of kayakers paddled down the river and chanced the rapids. It was a site to see. I again slept great, which ended up being a common theme in Montana. Possible better than any state overall, so far. That could possible be due to the ability to stay up later with the light, which tends to shine till after 9 every night.

No comments: