"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's All Downhill From Here

Well...maybe not...but the water does all lead to the Atlantic Ocean. I crossed the continental divide for the second and final time on my trip. It occurred to me a half mile from the top that both times I crossed it I was on interstate and there was a storm to the north of me pounding the route I could have taken instead. Lo and behold I made it over relatively dry and not too worn out. That doesn't speak for the end of the day.

I had been battling ominous clouds all day and got rained on for a couple miles in Butte and another mile on a later climb, but that was pretty much it, until...I got to the turn off for the place I was planning on going to and it had a detour that made me go an extra 6+ miles out of the way. During this detour the sky decided to open up again for most of the way. This would've been avoided by having my tent up had I been to the campground when planned. This also made my ride 104 miles. A little too long for my desire. I was thirsty, tired, and hungry when I arrived and just wanted to go to bed, which I did shortly after I made dinner. I can't do the full day justice right now as I am again tired and need to turn my phone off soon so I have battery left until my next full charge.

Today was an 85+ mile day and was uphill to start, like yesterday. I had a climb out of Bozeman and then a wonderfully downhill and. A couple rolling hills followed by more downhill. I am now riding along the yellowstone river. My average speed increased by almost 4mph after the summit. I am camped at a fishing hole with camping with views of the crazy mountains and the absarokas. The river flows swiftly a few feet away and just recently a couple of kayakers paddled past.

I would love to do a more vivid description of the last two days but am in need of rest.

1 comment:

denbec said...

I found it very difficult to describe that part of the country - it is just so amazing!

Josh - just a quick piece of advice as you go through Wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota, please be sure to carry a few extra supplies with you. Don't expect the name on a map to be an actual town and depending on your route you may encounter 100 mile stretches with no services and extreme winds for no apparent reason. Hopefully those will be at your back! My God continue to ride on your handlebars. Oh - and if you get a chance - don't miss the Mickleson Trail and the Badlands in South Dakota! That was one of my favorite parts of my journey.