"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, May 14, 2010

You Have A Big Climb Coming Up

Those were the words I constantly heard all the way up to Lolo Pass. The truth is - it wasn't that bad. A mere 1,600 feet over 13 miles. Not much compared to the other climbs on my ride.

Last night was a peaceful sleep in a peaceful location. I awoke somewhat early and was soon packed and ready to go. I left around 8 and met a couple of British cyclists coming down. They started on mountain time and therefore made it over a bit before me. I was still probably the first headed east.

I forgot to fill my water before I left so I was on empty to start the day. I didn't want to turn around after I realized it because that was more climbing. I therefore resolved that once I found an accessible spot on the river I would fill up and use my chlorine drops. I only filled one bottle. That got me to the visitors center at the pass where I was able to fill up a couple more.

At the center I talked with a young couple with a 1 1/2 yr old girl named charlotte. She was entertaining and the couple was curious about the cyclists they see on the road and what their stories are.

I soon headed on and had a great initial 4 mile downhill that allowed me to get to almost 40mph. Then it was a very mild ride all the way to missoula. I stopped for a break in Lolo and a girl was looking at me with a grin so I said hi and she giggled and said she liked my sunglasses. They had my mirror attachment on. I got to missoula and called the people I was staying with and then headed there. I got the tour, cleaned up, and then have just been relaxing and sharing stories. I'm gonna stay here for a couple days and then start a six day ride across big sky country to my midway state.

2 comments:

Dusty said...

josh,
i've been through montana twice in my life and i've loved it every time. it's a little like what i imagine God's "new earth" looking like. He'll change the rest of the world and leave montana looking the same. if you're able, get a good contrasting picture of a river for me. i just remember it being one of the deepest blues i've ever seen from the glacier runoff.

Josh Cunningham said...

I'll see what I can do. Sadly, from here to Billings will be mainly interstate.