"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chillin' By The Deschutes

I woke up to a tent covered in frost and toes that I still couldn't feel. One of my Windows was frosted over. Thankfully the wind died down overnight and the snow stopped. I got up and when I put my riding shoes on, which had been out all night, I was greeted with a surprise. The sun that was shining had warmed them up and they were quite toasty. I proceeded to pack, to one last quick look around town, then headed on. The ride was generally downhill, though I had some decent climbs as well. I made good time as well and was excited to see the wind turbines were not going very much.

Outside of Biggs I had a nice 4 mile downhill coast to the river. I stocked up on water at the gas station and proceeded to the state park. It is $12 cheaper to camp in the Oregon state park than the one across the river in Washington. The only drawback is I have some backtracking to do tomorrow. The great part is the sun has finally come out and I am sitting in the sun getting some color back in my skin and listening to the Deschutes river flow by right next to my campsite.

2 comments:

denbec said...

Wow! So cold for this time of year. I never left my shoes outside my tent even tho they were sometimes "funky". Was worried about critters getting in them. :)

Josh - You are getting into an area where I know people and have family. I can give you recommendations if you are in any of the following - just give me a call if you still have my number or email me:

Sand Point ID - (Awesome Warm Showers host)
Gillette, WY (sister)
Spearfish, SD (High School friend who I stayed with)
Rapid City, SD (Warm Showers host)
Rochford, SD (Coleen let me camp by her store)
Pierre, SD (2 Sisters)
Eagle Butte, SD (Mom)
Mobridge, SD (I have some family there)
Aberdeen, SD (Aunt and Uncle)
Harold, SD (Brother)
Crete, NE (Sister)

Josh Cunningham said...

Thanks Dennis. I'll be in touch.