"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Missoula By Bicycle

As you can see, I have been making changes on my site. Part of this is due to having the time to do it. Another part is currently having access to a computer. I have added a statistics box to allow people to see my progress a little easier. The mileage is most likely not 100% accurate. I'm using a wireless computer and I try to change the batteries regularly, but I feel that I don't always get it done in time. I have also added a link to a Google Maps map that I am working on. It is not fully up to date, not all the locations are accurate if you zoom in, and the icons are still being changed. I also plan on adding route lines to allow you to see highways I have travelled. Currently it shows you roughly my route around the country and has most of my nightly locations highlighted. I will continue to work on this as time and computer access allow, so stay tuned for updates.

FREE DAY
Yesterday I took a free day in Missoula. My hosts here had a friend who was turning 30 and planned a 30 mile bike ride, hoping for 30 riders, along which they would visit the three local breweries. He ended up getting 30 riders. I was allowed to tag along and so spent the day "resting," which was partly the case since I had very little gear attached. We started out at the birthday boy's house and rode for roughly 20 miles before coming to the first brewery. I was able to see a lot of Missoula that I would normally not have been able to see or know about. We rode some beautiful roads and had very few hills, all at a relaxing pace. We visited Big Sky, Kettle House, and Bayern and had a brief stint at each before heading to the next one. There was a lot of good socializing going on and I met a lot of neat people and many wanted to hear about my trip. The day ended by meeting back at his house and having a grilling session along with live music. Many people were Environmental Law students, since that was his field of study at the University.

Today is another free day and I spent it working on my bike and trying to relax a bit. I haven't decided yet if I am going to ride every day to Douglas, WY, or if I am going to take a free day along the way and split the trip in half. The weather has been beautiful and makes me think I might take another break if location allows.

1 comment:

denbec said...

I wish I could have spent more time in Missoula. When I was there it was high tourist and extremely high bicycle tourist season. There wasn't any warm showers hosts available and only a KOA campground (I tried to avoid those expensive campgrounds). So I camped at Lolo the night before and had a short visit in Missoula the next day before riding on to Superior. Guess I'll have to go back!