"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, May 7, 2010

Washington..No. Wait...Oregon?

I wanted to get an early start today because I wasn't sure what the day held, where I was staying, and I figured the wind might pick up. 8am was the early start. I had breakfast and moved on, then a couple miles later had second breakfast. I then crossed the Columbia and rode highway 14 to the next interstate. I started out with good time for the first three hours but then the wind hit. When I started only a couple wind turbines were going but their easterly direction worried me. Sure enough, by 11am every turbine in sight was going strong and the river was white capping. I was still able to go strong but it was exhausting and drained the water. I went through a gallon of water, a cup of Orange juice, and a liter of propel and was thirsty when I arrived. I still managed to pedal 91 miles, which was good due to a camping location.

The town of Plymouth lies near the interstate and does have a campground but I needed water and wasnt sure if they had any and I was close enough I wanted to make sure I could cross on the interstate. It was a good thing. I was allowed on the interstate for a half mile and then was forced to exit. The tunnel under the freeway was blocked and I was forced to do a loop through Plymouth. I decided I should try hitch hiking to see if I could get a ride. I waited for five minutes and five trucks and then someone pulled over. His name was jerry and he would be glad to help. He said there was a walking bridge on the other side bit he didn't know if bikes were allowed. He dropped me off at the first exit and I proceeded to the marina and rv park. Thankfully they let tents camp there to. I was able to take a shower, of which I was dearly in need, due to three days hard riding without one. Tomorrow is Walla Walla and a warm showers host.

No comments: