"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm Still Alive

Sorry it has taken so long to post. I've had very little reception and energy lately. I made it across South Dakota in relatively nice weather. I then went to see my friend Shawna in Kulm, nd on Wednesday and she informed me a storm was moving in the next day. As we were waiting for the news reporter so I could get in the paper I checked the weather. It said severe winds, hail, thunderstorms and potential tornadoes. Shawna and her mom invited me to the farm to stay for a couple days and I decided that was a good idea.

I then hung out and helped on the farm for a couple days. I didn't realize how bad the storms were until yesterday. I also learned there were funnel clouds on the neighboring farm.

The people in this part of the country are a lot more social. As I was riding yesterday a couple asked me over and gave me refreshments, then dinner. They also told me how to get to the campground in town. I ended up hanging out with them for six hours. The town was packed as it was their all-school reunion.

I crossed over the 10,000 mile mark today. Tomorrow I'll be in Minnesota. My body is pretty tired, but I'm anxious to continue.

1 comment:

denbec said...

10,000 miles! Woo-hoo! That is remarkable. So glad to hear you are OK - there were severe storms all last week in S.D. including 7 tornadoes in Dupree very close to my home town of Eagle Butte. I pronounce them all done now and you should have great weather for the rest of the summer. :)