"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, February 26, 2010

Viva Las Vegas

So I made it into Vegas last Friday. I had to take my time from Hoover dam so I would be to the condo at check in time and not earlier. I made it and the guard at the gate enjoyed my arrival on a bike. So much so he remembered me when I walked back from the grocery store with full hands and opened the gate for me without my id. The check in people also remembered me and acknowledged me whenever they saw me.

My mom flew in later that night and when the shuttle brought her out the driver was worried about letting her out when there was a questionable character waiting out front. I had long hair and a full beard and looked homeless. She had to explain I was her son.

We spent a lot of time relaxing and also checked out the strip some. We saw David Copperfield and Bill Engvall. They were both very good. We also saw all the water shows and Fremont Street. We rented a car one day and I showed my mom Hoover Dam and Red Rocks. I hadn't driven in a couple of months and it took a bit to get used to.

We spent some time on the slots with money our resort gave us and won some money and a hat. We also won some before the Engvall show.

It's crazy seeing how much this place has changed in just the last couple of years since I was last here. We ended up staying off strip at a condo associated with my parents timeshare and had shuttle service to the strip every hour for free.

The strip got shut down for a while tonight due to the NASCAR trucks parading through town before their race this weekend.

I am headed to Utah tomorrow and then back across Nevada to California.

2 comments:

denbec said...

Hey Josh - we need more pictures please! :)

Hannah said...

I bet Utah will be a beautiful ride! And did you decide to do the loneliest highway through Nevada?

Vegas sounds like it was a good time to relax and laugh and enjoy the sights. Loved the part about your mom having to explain that the questionable character was her son. That's great.

Ride on!