"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Monday, March 1, 2010

From Red Rocks of Nevada to Red Rocks of Utah and Back Again

I rode towards Utah leaving Vegas via the racetrack and nellis air force base. With the cars running and jets continually taking off it was quite deafening. Once past the noise I had to ride interstate all the way to st George, Utah. There were only a couple exits on the way to mesquite and they offered no camping place. I decided I would have to find a place in mesquite.

There were no camping places in town and many rooms were booked full due to NASCAR. I went to a place that had a flashing sign on the interstate that said they had rooms available. I went in and asked and they said they didn't rent rooms out till their sister hotel was full. That place only had $100 rooms left. After a few interesting circumstances I ended up getting a room at the first place I checked for a lot less than the other place. It was very frustrating and laughable. The room had no artwork, the tv was unplugged, and the bathtub had some rust by the overflow. I've stayed in worse, however, and it saved me a bunch.

The next day I rode to Utah and discovered snow canyon. This was a very neat place with climbing and hiking. It was also a lot cheaper than Zion and since I've already seen Zion, it was a good tradeoff. I also met a group of students from Westminster university on a climbing trip. We hung out for a while and shared stories.

It was raining when I got to the campground, so I set my tarp up over the table. When the college group got back they were inspired and backed their tahoe and minivan together and worked on setting a tarp up between them. After a few attempts and a couple tarps they got it working. It was an amusing struggle.

The next day I did a couple of hikes. One took me to the top of an extinct volcano. I then headed into st George and visited some Mormon sites. The first temple constructed in Utah is located here. Brigham Young also had a winter home here.

Today I retraced my route to mesquite. Tomorrow I head back to Vegas.

No comments: