"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Into the Abyss

The prediction for weather today was a little rain and mid-40s. I have ridden in cold and wet before so I figured I could handle it. I headed out around eight. It was raining and in the mid-40s as I headed towards Las Cruces. There was to be a pass a little below 6,000 feet and the snow wasn't supposed to be below 7,000. As I climbed the pass I headed up to where the clouds met the road and as I got there I was met with a wintry mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Though there were three lanes heading my direction and only a little shoulder, many cars decided not to get over and I got pushed into the slush a couple times. I had to ride my brakes half the way down due to the snow. I was also frozen for the next 7 miles or so. It was in the upper 20s at the pass. I got into Las Cruces still mildly hypothermic and shaking. I stopped to get directions to a motel I had a discount to and headed there. By the time I got there I was moderately thawed out. I have a couple more passes and then I should be into the desert by Phoenix. Hopefully it warms up again.

1 comment:

denbec said...

I don't know how you do it! I nearly froze to death crossing the Big Horn mountains - in the summer! I guess it is just a bigger challenge for you. May you continue to be warm and safe!

Dennis