"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cactus, Cactus Everywhere

I couldn't sleep in this morning even though I wanted to and had the time. I ended up leaving earlier than desired. I had a climb outside of town for about 1,000 vetocal feet and then it was all downhill to Tempe. Half the trip at 6-7% downgrade as well as other percentages isn't a bad day. It was also only fifty miles. I made Apache Junction before one and went to the KOA. I wasn't wanting to go to KOAs on this trip, but you do what you have to. I set up and shortly after it started to drizzle.

I spent some time in my tent reading and relaxing, then showered and ate dinner.

The whole way to town I saw numerous saguaro cactus as well as numerous other cacti. You know you are in the desert when you look at one small patch of ground and see more than five types of cactus.

I am now sitting near the pool and getting that wonderful view that greets you at so many retirement locations...an overweight elderly man in a speedo that is barely visible. Why???

The weather is to start warming up and stay nice all the way to Vegas. I also get to see comedian Bill Engvall while there. I enjoy his humor and it will be a great break. My mom is also coming to Vegas to see me and warm up once again. I am feeling rejuvinated towards finishing this trip again and have studied the map a bit and it seems I am nearly halfway on mileage. This is exciting and yet hard to believe, even though I have been traveling for over five months.

No comments: