"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Winter or Wind-ter?

After my run in with the snow, and the fact that my body was exhausted, I ended up staying an extra day in Las Cruces and half of that was spent sleeping. It warmed up a bit the next day and I headed down the interstate. There is a designated cycling route north of the interstate, but I knew it spent a lot of its time in the mountains. I'd hoped the interstate avoided this...it did. I had two flats and a slow leak on my way to Deming.

I made it in and fixed what needed fixed. The next day I headed to Lordsburg and hoped to camp. It was going to be thirty bucks on a gravel lot. It was a bit more for a room and breakfast, so I did that. I crossed the continental divide on my way to Lordsburg, but it hasn't all been downhill since then.

I crossed into Arizona today. It was supposed to rain, but I figured I could make it. I got to Duncan and it was windy and rainy and the clouds weren't pretty. I stopped and checked the weather and saw a winter advisory that wasn't there earlier. I called home to see if there was anything they could see. I was going to have a mountain pass and forty miles to go. I ended up waiting about an hour and then layered up and took off. I continued to pray for it to clear up. As I climbed the rain slowed and then stopped. I had a slow leak so I stopped and fixed it. I then proceeded on and eventually cleared the pass. The rain was all around me but God kept it off me. I got to town and found a place to stay.

I am slowly getting my energy and drive for this trip back. The rain hurts, but God keeping it away helps. I have about two weeks till Vegas and then get a week of rest. It has been nearly six months since I started this trip. I have about one more pass before Tempe and then I should be away from the snow and freezing weather for a while.

1 comment:

Michelle Bales said...

Thanks for posting. I love to hear the ways God is protecting and sustaining you on this trip. Your mom told me she's going to see you in Vegas for the week. That will be a nice time for you two. (Supportive parents is another one of God's provisions!) Have a safe day. : )