"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This is Horse Country

As I rode through the hills and mountains yesterday I was desirous to have my horse with me. The country around here is so much like it was at the time of the "Wild West" and the westward expansion, with some added roads and fences. It is so open and pristine. I was anxious to set out a-horseback and see the country in a different way than I have been of late. There have been other times on this trip where I have ridden in an area and smelled livestock a few miles ahead of me. It made me miss my time in Wyoming and everywhere else I have worked and lived around livestock. This makes me anxious to continue on and explore before we take away all we have left of the wilderness, but also makes me want to stop and go home so I can spend time with my horse.

Anyway, as I was riding along I slowly started seeing sporadic saquaro cactus along the road. This rejuvinated me because it means I am getting close to the desert and hopefully some warmer weather. Also, perhaps, less snow visible around me for such long lengths of time. I made an 80 mile ride yesterday, something I haven't really done in quite a while. It was exhausting, but also refreshing. It was overcast and cool and windy most of the day yesterday. I am usually pretty good about weather and can stay warm pretty easily. I usually loan out any gear I have to others to stay warm, because I rarely need it. However, as of late, I have been having a hard time staying warm when it is in the 50's and I'm layered up. I don't know what is wrong, but it is discouraging at times because I need to seek interior shelter more than I had desired when I planned this trip.

While I was riding yesterday, I got some free massages due to rumble strips on the side of the road. I also got some acupuncture I wasn't expecting when I couldn't get onto the road and thornbushes were out over the shoulder. It wasn't always the most comfortable, but it did keep me awake.

My next couple of weeks are going to be slow, which should help get my energy back, but also get me used to not pushing so hard. That is both good and bad. I will take the breaks, though, knowing once late spring comes I will probably take very few to wrap up the trip before it gets cold again.

2 comments:

maryjt said...

Hey, Josh. I am really enjoying your blog posts. I am so amazed at what you are accomplishing and what God is accomplishing for you and through you. Thanks for letting us in on your adventure.

denbec said...

Josh, your comment on "exploring the world before we take it all away" really hit home with me. I felt the very same way as I rode across the rare stretches of land with few human tracks. You and I are both lucky we were able to take time to enjoy it as I fear it won't last for long.

Stay warm, Stay safe and let God ride on the handlebars.