"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, December 4, 2009

It's Snowing

I finally have Internet again and a time to write. I am in Winnfield, LA and it is snowing outside. It didn't get above 38 degrees today. The prediction is up to 3" tonight. It has been cool and damp over the last week and I waited out a few days hanging out with my friend Mr. Gerry in Amite, LA. He fed me a lot of good Cajun food.

Last night I stayed in a trailer of some redneck who had it sitting in his yard. He was outside with another person, Angie, around a fire. I pulled up at dusk and he offered that for a place to stay. Right as I turned in he came by and said "my name's Chester, my friends call me Chester molester." I was taken aback by this but sort of laughed it off to his drunkeness to where he could barely walk. Angie was nice and not so wierd.

Chester's place was unexpected as I meant to cross the Mississippi river at St. Francisville but the ferry was closed for repairs. The only place for me to cross north of New Orleans was Natchez, MS. I had to add a half day detour for this.

The rest of my ride from Florida had nothing exciting during it.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

You're sure meeting some characters on this journey. But I'm glad you found a place to stay. And goodness gracious...snow in Louisiana? Who would have thunk it? Stay warm!