"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Camp Eagle

Camp Eagle. My home from spring 2005 to spring 2007. 1500 acres of Texas hill country beauty located at the headwaters of the Nueces River outside of Kerrville, TX.

I got up sunday morning and went to church with my family, then went out to eat at Playa Azul, the local Mexican restaurant. After that I headed to Omaha to see if Cabelas would work with me to get some problemss with my tent worked out. Ended up they wouldn't, which was quite frustrating. Turned arond and headed to York, NE and took hwy 81 south towards Texas. The driving was slow due to the recent storm. I ended up getting to Austin around 9am after driving all night and only getting about an hour sleep. Checked in my car and unloaded, packed, then took off. I got a new droid eris smart phone while at home and now have Internet and gps capabilities, so tried them to get me across Austin. Some of the roads weren't very well marked and I made a couple wrong turns, but got it straightened out. Made it across Austin and out to pedernales falls state park; roughly a 50 mile ride. After this I was quite tired and went to bed immediately after dinner.

The next day was in the low thirties and I started out with some sleet and freezing rain. An couple offered and gave me a ten mile ride into fredericksburg. It was enjoyable meeting them. I finished riding to Kerrville and called my old boss. He offered to have someone bring me out to camp, which was good, since I needed to have my bike at the shop to get worked on. The 8 mile dirt road was very poor and it was a good thing I didn't ride in.

I am planning on staying here a week or two and relaxing and also doing some volunteer work on some projects for them. Everyone have a happy new year. I will post again in a couple days.

No comments: