"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why Wichita?

I am now in Wichita, Kansas, a place I was trying to avoid. I started getting flats again and was running on all patches. I was hoping to find a new set of tires to fit my bike, but they would have to have them ordered, so I got some tubes and will call specialized and have them send some new tires to Arkansas. The bike shop said sometimes things get imbedded that you can't see and you just have to replace the tires. I have run these tires on three other bikes and have never had problems, so something is up.

Anyway, I decided to stay in Dodge City again on Sunday and just relaxed all day and let my body recuperate from the long rides out of Colorado. Also, this would place me in Tulsa over the weekend, allowing me to see some friends. I was hoping to leave early on Monday, but when I went to leave I had a flat on the front tire. I replaced it and then went to Wal-mart and bought a pump that would be easier to use, then I bought a souvenir and headed out. 20 miles out I got a flat on the rear and replaced it. I then rode to Greensburg and ended up getting another flat. This was very frustrating but specialized is going to help me out and hopefully fix this pesky problem that is making me learn patience in ever greater quantities. Greensburg was pretty much wiped out a couple of years ago by a tornado and most of the city is still being rebuilt. I talked to a leathertramp who has been through here a couple of times and he said the politics are making the rebuild process fall apart. He had some good stories and has been all over, working here and there.

At Greensburg I decided I would have to head to Wichita so I planned out my route and decided to stop just west of Kingman at a state fishing lake with free camping. It was beautiful and peaceful with huge old oak trees and sunflowers on the bank and a decent sized lake with cranes, turtles, and fish. I passed through the small town of Cunningham, Kansas today and of course took some pics.

I then came into Wichita and struggled to find a way past the interstate when I finally found I had to do some backtracking and get to Central, as it was the only road that crosses and then found West street and the bike shop. They were very helpful. Then I had some lunch, called my friend Brian Fischer and found out where he lived and then headed that way. Riding through downtown I found another cyclist and she told me I was on the one halfway bike friendly street in Wichita and then invited me to a couple of rides this weekend, which I have to miss in order to make Tulsa. She confirmed how poor cycling in Wichita is and then gave me some decent directions to where I needed to go. I got a flat after I was almost to Brian's, but he was on his way home from work and I was nearby, so he came and picked me up and then we headed back to his place. He offered to drop me off on the south side of Wichita tomorrow so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic, so I may take him up on that. We'll see. So far...always an adventure.

Oh yeah, and the wind was blowing from the perfect direction today...for tomorrow's ride.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh, what a bummer about all the flats. Hang in there...

Hope you get to see John when you are Oklahoma-side!