"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Looking to Kansas Again, Toto

I am going to be entering Kansas today. After leaving Denver I climbed 2000 more feet in elevation and stayed at some friends house in Monument. It was a short 45 mile day to start getting my legs back. I then went 84 miles to Punkin Center, which ended up being a house and a couple trailer houses at the intersection of two highways. I was working to beat out a storm that was building to the north of me and made it a little before the storm kicked in. The people with the house had a couple acres and it looked like they had garden tours, so I asked if I could stay. They weren't super inviting, but they let me stay under the covered picnic area and fill up my water outside. I wasn't sure how long I was allowed to stay so I took off at 6:30 the next morning. I made Eads by 12:30, which was my destination for the day, so I figured I'd head on to Lamar, making my day 110 miles. Just outside of Eads I crossed paths with a biker from the UK going from Boston to San Francisco piecing together various ACA maps. We talked for a bit but the semis were a little too loud, so we said goodbye and headed on. At Lamar I went to the visitors booth and asked for a place to camp. They thought for a bit and then suggested walmart and then remembered a little park I could go to. I headed to the park and set up, though I wasn't sure I could, and then at 2 and 4 in the morning the sprinkler system turns on. This was annoying, but the worst part was I left part of my rainfly open to help with ventilation and before I got it closed a little water came in and got some of my stuff wet. However, it could have been worse as I thought about sleeping on a picnic table, which also ended up getting wet. So thankfully I avoided an unwanted midnight bath, though I could use a shower.

No comments: