"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, September 11, 2009

Back in Kansas

I am now in Dodge City, Ks. I made it to Kansas yesterday and stayed at a campground south of Lakin, ks. I met a trucker there who has done some touring in the past and we shared stories. His name was Steve and in the morning he saw me leaving in the thick fog and offered to drive me to town and buy me breakfast. By the time we finished breakfast the fog had cleared enough to ride safely. I only had to ride to Ingalls today because my mom had a cousin in the area who offered to take me to his house after he got off work. I arrived a little before he went through so I grabbed a bite at the cafe and then we went home. He ended up having a funeral come up so they took me out to eat in Dodge and then helped me find a hotel. I am now just under 1000 miles into my trip so I will do some basic maintenance and cleaning as well as spread out for a couple days. I am going to check out the town tomorrow and then get some stuff fixed.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

So glad to hear you made it safely through Colorado. That trucker sounds like a great guy. Keep writing; I love following your trail!

Anonymous said...

Not all truck drivers are mean and nasty, some of us are really quite nice. What are you doing back in Kansas, I thought you were going up the west coast? Keep on keeping on and good luck to you on your adventure.