"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, July 9, 2010

Sasquatch Is In The Area

Last night I looked at the weather forecast and it wasn't supposed to rain until about noon today. Deciding to not do what I usually do and get my rain fly ready in case of rain, I just put it in my tent. Lo and behold that at 6 in the morning it starts to sprinkle. I decide I am simply going to throw the fly over the top since it isn't raining that bad and I will be getting up soon. Wrong choice. It began to downpour and water began to leak into the tent. Finally having enough I got out and quickly staked it down. I needed to route plan a bit so I turned on my phone and checked the weather as well and the forecast changed to rain at 6 and 7 and then 11. The majority of my stuff stayed dry and it was really only the tent that got wet, so not all was lost.

I was up and off and the beginning of my ride was great with the majority of it being or feeling downhill. I did have many rolling hills today and with the rain and temperatures the way they were I felt like I was in the Smokies in Tennessee instead of in northern Pennsylvania. It was quite beautiful and very scenic.

Shortly after beginning the day I was riding a back road and a guy on a harley rode by and asked if I was traveling cross country. I told him yeah and then he pulled into the next driveway, which happened to be his house. His name was Brian and he had moved to PA from California. He was quite interested in what I was doing and we talked a bit about my ride and route and the area. He also informed me he was going to talk to the local paper about me. We said our goodbyes and then I was off once again.

I ended up having a detour right after leaving his house. I took the route and on my way back to the original highway I was on I was met by a lady in a car who informed me she was with the local paper. Things apparently move fast out here. She pulled off at the next convenient location and interviewed and talked with me for a while.

Things were off to an interesting, yet slow traveling, start. The rest of the day wasn't filled with as much activity. It did rain off and on and occasionally I heard thunder, but I never saw lightning. Humorously, I was dryer today than I had been due to the humidity and I didn't need to drink near as much. The rain also kept me cooler at times. I ended up calling my ride a bit short due to the rain and activities of the morning. It ended up being a good thing. Shortly after I stopped the rain got worse and I met a biker who said he had seen lightning not too much earlier.

My bike's chain has been starting to skip occasionally and at the very end of my ride today it was doing it every stroke. I'm not sure what's wrong yet and hope it is just a fluke and will last at least a couple more weeks until I take another break and will have more time to take it to a shop, as well as be near a shop.

The title refers to the fact that I was informed today that I am in premiere big foot territory and there have been multiple sightings. Of course this made me keep an eye out as I rode to see any sign. None was spotted today, though I have more distance to travel in his territory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Been following your ride for a while now. As a shop mechanic it sounds like your chain and/or cassette is worn out. Hope you find some time to get it fixed and good luck on your travels.

Josh Cunningham said...

I appreciate the advice. I'll check it again but both were replaced not long ago. It all worked fine again today.

Jill said...

Sorry we missed you, Josh. I hope you enjoyed Pennsylvania. It is a beautiful state, although very hilly! Take care.

Dusty said...

josh,
i just caught up on your trip and it still sounds amazing, especially how you're meeting people. i imagine it being a great way to experience the country. i'm not sure of your route once you get to maine, but i have a cousin living in indiana (if you head home that way), as well as friends in new york, new jersey, and (maybe) virginia/west virginia. remember caleb from my wedding? he was in virginia the last time i checked, but has quit facebook, so i'm not entirely sure. give me a heads up if you need a place. also, if you email me your phone number and a good time to call, we can catch up a bit.