"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Coast Is Clear

After many more hills than expected, I made the coast of Maine. I am in southern Maine now, lounging comfortably in the embrace of an L-shaped rock. The breeze off the ocean brings in the soothing smell of the salt water and the comforting tones of the gentle waves lapping against the shoreline. The tide is slowly rising, allowing the beached boats in the bay behind me to soon go back out. Seagulls occasionally soar overhead. It is a peaceful and relaxing setting.

As it should be. I got the last campsite in the campground and it cost me $40 for a spot without water or electric and barely enough semi-level ground to set up my tent.

The ride into Maine was rolling as I left the white mountains and approached the coast. I have rarely had a stretch of smooth road. I slowly climbed one hill that was about a 13% grade. That is like climbing a road that is steeper than a set of bleachers for a half mile or so. Rather strenuous with 260+ pounds desirous of going the other way.

I got my first glimpse of the ocean outside of Brunswick, me, which is neat since my first glimpse in the south was at brunswick, ga.

I am headed to Boston tomorrow where I will store my bike for a week as I fly to branson, mo to join my family on vacation. It will be good to see them though it will hardly count as a break. If you know my family you know we work hard and play harder. That, along with the flights, will be taxing.

So if I don't write for a week, that's why.

No comments: