"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Road Warriors

I rode another near 100 mile day from Toledo to around Norwalk. I stayed at a very small campsite that had a little pond and two RVers. One of them was named Herb and he used to cycle until some circumstances in life slowed him up. We talked for awhile about biking and seeing the country. I enjoyed getting to know him and see his zest for living no matter how you have to do it.

I then headed towards Akron on yet another hot and humid day, which it had been since the 4th. Along the way a lady pulled over and informed me she was a cyclist and wondered if she could offer me anything. I said some ice would be nice and she told me how to get to her and her husbands place a few miles away. Being a cyclist she sent me on the way that had the nicest downhill. Hildegard and her husband earl gave me lunch and drinks and we talked for awhile. They offered to let me stay and seeing what time it was getting and being tempted by the air I decided to stay. Some friends of theirs came over later for dinner and cards and I had a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon and evening.

Today remained hot and humid and began giving me more hills. The downs were nice bit some of the ups were strenuous, especially in the heat. I had to walk the tops oc the last couple.

The humidity has been so high it has felt more like I have been swimming to each destination. The headwinds have been nice because they have provided a bit of cooling and relief. Once I stop my body just drips and gains more moisture. Tomorrow it is supposed to cool off and also rain a bit.

The evenings have been nice lately because I have been given a private fireworks show every night as the fireflies flash all around me. It is a soothing site. I have also not had to use a sleeping bag due to the warmth. Tomorrow I will probably have to pit the fly back on my tent though, due to the rain forecast.

It is looking like I should be to the coast of Maine in around ten days. I also believe I only have about five weeks of riding left. This is encouraging. I am having a harder time staying strong to the goal, bit I definitely don't want to quit. I appreciate all the prayers and support and will need it the most over the next month.

One more thing...I believe that today I have had more troubling and dangerous drivers than I have had overall. I am planning my route much further in advance and am working on finding safer routes. GPS has also been getting used a lot more to find parallel roads. A few of the next states have also given me cycling maps. If anyone knows more about these areas feel free to drop a line or email and I will be open to reviewing them. I know my way to Maine. Then I will head south from Portland to providence and across to jersey. From there I know more again.

No comments: