"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Riding in a Winter Wonderland

I left Midland on Monday and headed down the interstate. I have lately been riding 50-80 mile stretches where there is no human habitation and only the occassonal car. After one and a half days of riding down the interstate I turned north at pecos. I met a local who has also done some ridng and he warned me against going to el paso. Said I'd be better off going through new Mexico both for the population and the border safety.

I made it to red bluff reservoir and camped for the night. I was planning to go to the guadalupes, but after checking the weather I decided to go to Carlsbad. There was a winter weather advisory with hail, snow, and cold. I got to Carlsbad and last night and today it has rained and snowed since the middle of the night. Hopefully it will clear up soon. I have a mountain pass a day from here.

I have been slowly getting back into the groove. The bike has been holding up well and there have been no major problems. I have worn through some gear and other gear is on it's way out. I have been on the road for five months and over 5,000 miles. The other day it was so windy I had to dodge tumbleweeds as I rode along. The wind has since let up to single digits or a little harder.

1 comment:

K. Higgins said...

it seems like you should be used to the wind out there!! c'mon, you lived in nebraska. you should be ready for any types of wind. :) i hope the weather there clears up soon. we are having a day of sunshine here for the first time in two weeks. stay safe and god bless!