"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Goodbye Hills, Hello Headwinds

Once leaving sonora I rode on the interstate for 30 miles. I then turned northwest and went through 50 miles of nothingness; not even a sign of a house. I was headed towards Big Lake, which showed up on the map as a little town with a decent sized lake south of it. I was thinking about camping, but there is nothing between Big Lake and Midland. Also, there were a lot of dead deer, roadside shrines, and numerous empty bottles.

I stayed at the Deerfield Inn. I am still in a slump, but anxious to continue. As I left Sonora I slowly left the hill country. Also, when I got to Big Lake there was no big lake or even a pond, or any sign of water for that matter. I am now in the part of Texas that has about three towns per county and the counties are huge.

I left Big Lake the next day ant the sun very soon came out. I also started with a tailwind that eventually picked up and then turned to a crosswind and then a 35 mph headwind. I rode for seven miles into the headwind and then stopped for a break. As I was resting a trucker pulled up. It was so windy I didn't even hear him.

He let me know the wind wasn't going to die anytime soon and wondered if I would take a ride. I put my gear in the cab and we strapped my bike under the trailer. It was less than 15 miles to town and then we ate at Whataburger. After eating I headed across town to my friends mike and jody's place.

A few years ago mike and jody adopted seven black kids. Last time I was here the kids were gone, so I got to meet them all this time. They are quite a crew. I am staying here for a couple days and then heading on.

No comments: