"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Welcome to Orange County

That's right. For you music fans; the home of gwen stefani and no doubt. For Christian music fans; the oc supertones. And for tv fans; real housewives and the oc.

I arrived earlier then expected, as I was supposed to get here tomorrow. I got up and off by 7:30 and had some rolling terrain and finally summited at 5,000 ft. I then had a 3,000 ft descent. I was planning on stopping at Hemet, the town at the bottom of the descent, but it was before noon. I met some ladies here and they strongly advised me to move on. After getting me a couple pieces of cherry pie at McDonald's they informed me the gangs in town had attempted to kill policemen three times in the last couple weeks. A car bomb, a house bomb, and a triggered gun. I talked to my friend Tyler, from Newport, and he said he would get me wherever I was after work. I figured I could at least get to the next town 25 mi away. I also got there relatively quickly and decided to get as close to the coast as I could.

I had another 1,000 ft climb out of town over about ten miles, but them 20 miles of mostly downhill (3,000 ft). I ended up getting to the coast before five and doing over 100 miles. I got a pic at the ocean and then headed to a place to hang out and wait for my friend Tyler to pick me up in his truck.

No comments: