"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, November 20, 2009

On The Road Again

I finally took off on Thursday. I wasn't sure how well I would do, but I needed to move and that was the day I planned on leaving Gainesville anyway. I ended up making it to Suwannee River State Park, 83 miles from Gainesville. My legs did hurt off and on, but I was able to overcome. Also, I had a pottassium pill, a one-a-day, and a pain pill, as well as some good stretches before I left. I was shocked to see as I made it to the park that the cost of camping was $25. I was here a couple years ago in February and it was less than $10. They did have a new bathhouse, though. I did some good stretching when I got in, took a short walk around the campground, then turned the shower into a sauna. At the end, my legs felt pretty good, though still sore.

Took off this morning for Tallahassee. Made it more than an hour sooner than I thought I would. My legs continued to hurt, but I did the same start up I did yesterday. All of this route from Gainesville to Louisianna is the same route I did a couple years ago, unless I decide to try a different road here or there. No major changes other than a few new houses and some road construction going on. I was nervous coming into Tallahassee because last time I was here my rear derailleur exploded, broke my chain, took some teeth out of my rear cluster, tacoed my rear tire, broke some spokes, and bent my frame; also nearly throwing me into oncoming traffic and making the traffic on my side of the road have to slow way down and work to miss me. I also had a good headwind that year. Thankfully I made it through with no major problems. I called Gene, my warm showers host, after I got into town. He said I was welcome to come over but suggested seeing the state capitol and the Florida History Museum. I did go to the capitol, though I didn't go up to the top. The new capitol looks like a sky-scraper with no major architecture other than a fountain out front. The old capitol looks more historic and dignified.

The weather continues to be great, though it was a little cool this morning in the 40's: relatively speaking, of course, for all you northerners. There is a possibility of rain tomorrow. But it should still be warm.

No comments: