"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nashville and tennesseek shelter

I made it to Nashville on Friday and got a new rear tire since my new one was already shredded through in three spots. When I made it to town I called on hotel rooms and one place said they had some available so I rode over there and they told me they were full. They weren't very helpful so I went to one nearby and they were full but more helpful. I was directed a little further out of downtown to a strip of hotels and found one. It turns out Vanderbilts homecoming is this weekend.

As I pedalled through town a few people rolled down their windows at lights and talked to me and welcomed me to Nashville. It was very encouraging. I decided to stay by my motel for the night and then went to town today. I picked up a new raincoat for my bike that is designed in the pacific northwest, so it should be good.

The day I left Memphis it was raining and slowly began to pour. I found out my rain jacket is now more water resistant than proof. It turned out to be a cold and wet day, but I stayed in a state park and had the tent site all to myself. I warmed up in the shower and hung my clothes up all over the room to dry.

The next day I was hoping to get just under halfway to Nashville and did a little better. I was trying withot luck to find a place to camp along the road and then in the next town I came to I stopped by a church and ended up talking to the pastor. He said I could camp in the yard, but then he asked if I would rather have a room. I said either way thinking he was talking a Sunday school room or spare bedroom. Instead he took me inside the church, called a motel, and had it charged to the church. Then he opened up the pantry and tried to give me a bunch of canned goods. I took two and he tried to get me to take more but I had no room.

So it was a rough start in Tennessee, but much better as I go through.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like your having a nice trip Josh! and what a nice Pastor!

Hannah said...

Tenneseek. I like it. Jim and Rachel and the girls say hello. They ask about you all the time. Whether you realize it or not, you will make an impact on people's lives through this journey. And I pray many people will also impact your life.

Anonymous said...

you are amazing for doing this and i admire you!! i read your blog every day and find it really cool! like hannah said, you are impacting people's lives, even if you don't realize it!! good luck and god bless you!