"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Georgia on my mind

I made it to just outside Savannah today. Last night I did my first hidden camp. It rained most of the day and there were no campgrounds, motels, or churches with people around so I went a couple miles south of town and found a grove of trees between the road and train track and found a location hidden from view then set up. I made sure the majority of reflective materials were hidden then turned in for the night. It was very restful sleeping on unspoiled ground.

Something happenned in the weather and it didn't drop below 60 overnight. I was in a sauna and today it nearly reached 90. That is a 20 degree difference overnight.

Today was a very relaxing ride except for all the trucks on a shoulderless highway. Most of the traffic was good but a few had some close calls. I rode through the town of Rincon, GA on my way to Savannah. This is the home town of country musician Billy Currington. Georgia so far is a fairly bike friendly state, though it's had its problems.

Today I saw a sign that read, "proffessional auto detial. Yes we open six day week." That's word for word with the misspelling. I also think south Carolina is the trailer home capital. I would say 9/10 to 19/20 houses are single wide and a few double wide.

The other big thing is today is 1/6 my journey down. I just passed through state 8 and passed 2,500 miles! YAY!

No comments: