"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Monday, October 12, 2009

Memphis

I am now in Memphis and headed to Nashville for the weekend. I made it through most of Arkansas in two days with no problems other than the cold that was in the forty's. I stopped for hot chocolate on the second day and stayed for a half hour until I stopped shaking. I was then hoping to find a camping spot but everything was farmland and flooded. The one place I was hoping for turned out to be a state park without camping. A family reunion was going on and they were very welcoming to me. They informed me of a campground down the road about 15 miles away, so I took off to get there before dark.

Getting into Tennessee was horrible. No one really knew how to get to the walking bridge, so I ended up heading out on the interstate and then found the bridge and walked it. On the other side there was no way to go across town except by a jaunt on the interstate, which was illegal. I went that way for a bit and came to some backroads and headed to the visitors center. From there I headed to a bike shop and hotel. On my very welcoming memphis ride I picked up two tire shredding flats and had to tape my tire. My rear rack also sheared off a set screw sometime and I needed it drilled out and replaced. The bike store I found was very helpful and got my bike done by staying a little late. I now don't have to stay a second night in Memphis. I only dislike this town for cycling. I have visited here before and enjoyed it, but it is not biker friendly.

It looks like I will finally have to ride in the rain on my way to Nashville. I should've today but it cleared right as I left and the sun was out most of the time. I just hope the flooding in Georgia goes down before I get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you could always stay in georgia and help out with the disaster relief that's going on.
-----dusty--<><--