"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, October 30, 2009

Jekyll and Hyde

I cycled from Savannah to Brunswick yesterday. A mile shy of yet another century ride. The weather was great if not a little too hot. It has been a long time since my water has heated up during a ride. I cycled through town to Jekyll island. On the north side of the island is a campground, so I headed there. I decided to check in for three nights and tour the island and rest. This used to be a private club for the rich people of the past, like the Rockefeller's.

Today I decided to tour the historic district and the " cottages" of the club era. I also decided to take a three hour guided kayak tour along Jekyll river. It was quite fun and we saw sharks, dolphins, and all kinds of birds. The tide changes six vertical feet from low to high. It was low when we left and rose about four feet during our tour. The tide was not right for a sunset horseback ride, so I skipped that. Instead I had a seafood buffet and then relaxed at the campsite, which is about five or six miles from the island entrance.

This island is a very peaceful place and last night was wonderful with the cover off my tent. I also slept on top of my bag it was so warm. It was great restful looking up and seeing clear sky and the tops of trees swaying in the slight breeze.

I am meeting my mom in Miami next Sunday, so I have some time to kill over the next week. This was one place and now I have to figure out at least one other. Hopefully I can find a not too expensive place to do it in.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Camping. Kayaking. Potential sunset horseback ride. I'm honest-to-goodness jealous today as I read your blog. I am glad you've found some rest and hope you find some more as you meander towards Florida.

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh! My name is Kristy Graham, my husband Bobby and I met you yesterday on Jekyll Island while we were watching the dolphins. I am so happy to find your blog so we can keep up with you on your journey! If you ever come through Meridian Ms look us up we live 17 mi north on Dalewood Lake. My e-mail address is. Kristygraham@aol.com
Happy Trails To You !