"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The tortoise loses

I am now in McCook, Ne. The last couple of days went pretty well and I had free camping in the last two towns. I ended up getting a flat today and I still don't know why. I went to put my spare on and then it blew. Then I thought my pump was bad, as it is starting to be. Figured my first flat was only a slow leak so I put that on and figured I could walk to McCook and fill it up as needed. I made about two miles that way and pumped twice. I still had eight miles to go and was stopped to put more air in when a guy named mason came out from behind his house and asked if he could help. He wound up giving me a ride and dropped me off at the campground and told me to look up his sister in Kansas and I could get some water. Go figure you ask God to stretch you on a trip and he let's you meet such amazing people who will help out strangers. Even crazy ones on bikes! So now I am off to fix my bike. Amazingly the walmart in town had the right rube and more than one.


Oh, and with the title, the first of these two days was filled with countless turtle roadkill. So the hare wins.

1 comment:

Sar and DaveR said...

Oh man I wish I knew you were going to be in McCook! I know some great folks there...guess I better take a closer look at your map! :)