"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Friday, August 28, 2009

Hills and sunflowers

I made it to Red Cloud today. As the title suggest, this was a day with a decent amount of hills and both wild and cultivated sunflowers. There were about five golden fields and numerous stands along the way. I am now riding the first half of BRAN in reverse. This was another 57 mile day and my seat is needing a couple days to get used to it. Red Cloud is the home of the Willa Cather SHS. Everything in town is pretty much named after her. This is a neat little town, but all the cool little shops are pretty much closed down or close early. It is amazing to see how much even these small towns seem to get affected by the economy after surviving through so much already.


The bike and gear held together great again today. It was another late start but gave me a chance to sleep in, practice breaking camp, and have some pesonal time with God before the road and all the random songs that go through one's head. A routine I wouldn't mind keeping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh, good luck and stay safe on your trip!! I will be checking your site on a regular basis so I can continue to follow your blog/progress. The whole thing sounds like a lot of work and fun!! you are only a little wasy into this and I was already anxious to see how far you made it today.

Greg Nutsch
Beatrice NE