"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Thursday, August 27, 2009

First day down

I am now in Hebron, NE. I rode 56.5 miles today and spent most of the day getting used to my gear. They have a little camping park here with lots of shade and a decent bathhouse. Hebron is also home to the world's largest swing. It is a giant porch swing 32 ft long. I am sitting on it as I write this. I had no major problems today, which is a good start to my trip. One thing I learned today is that the smaller the map, the longer it takes to get across a state. I have not spoken to anyone yet today, but this part of Nebraska is sparsely populated and I have only gone through three towns. The ride was very peaceful and the people friendly except for one trucker. I have yet to understand why certain drivers and train engineers find it so funny to honk their horns and try to make a rider go in the ditch. If I am loaded down for a trip, I probably have at least a slight immunity to jumping whenever this happens.

1 comment:

Katharine Ann Photography said...

Glad your first day went pretty well!