"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will --whatever we may think."
Lawrence Durrell

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ups and Downs

As I swooped down into Rhode Island yesterday I was pleasantly surprised by how much it had to offer.  I was not surprised to see that it had no welcome sign on the highway I rode in on, however.  As I gently rode along the many hills and river lined roads and trails I was placed into a state of contentment and enjoyment that is very necessary at this stage in my journey.  As I near the end of my trip it becomes more difficult to focus on each day as it comes and not desire to press on to the end.  

As I left Rhode Island I was greeted by numerous more hills that rolled through the state of Connecticut.  I was warned of this by some cyclists in the Boston area as I left.  While the hills are not always tortuous like they once were, they are a constant workout.  I was pleased to find a rail-trail I was able to use for about 15 miles.  While I did have one long, gradual climb over the last half of the trail, it took out the numerous hills I would've had had I stayed on the highways.  It was a crushed gravel trail, but well maintained and easy to ride.  I just had to keep an eye out for washouts.  The trail caused me to not even realize I was near population centers and blotted out the sounds of the passing cars, giving me an even more relaxing ride.  It then spat me out on a highway, not far from a tri-city area.  The trouble with this was it was 4:30 and the beginning of rush hour.  I rode the sidewalk a lot more than usual and came to a bridge at the perfect time to need to take the sidewalk so as not to make too many drivers mad and to keep my calmness during riding.

I made it through town and took a back highway to another nearby town.  Once out of the tri-city suburbs I was greeted by a narrow, winding, two lane road with hardly any traffic, just off the freeway but enshrouded by so many trees I barely heard the occasional semi roll by.  I then made it into town and had to find a motel since campgrounds are barely existent, poorly maintained, and often overpriced out here.  With a coupon I was able to get a high quality room for half price and relax in a night of luxury, wheeling my bike through their elegant, business guest tailored decor.  I then relaxed for the evening and caught up on the journaling I have recently been neglecting.  

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Glad you are enjoying state 49! Praying for a strong finish for you!